2.09.2006

getto! [translation: score!]

today has been a good day so far. my mom came back from a three-week trip to japan. i don't function very well without my mommy; she takes good care of me.

she was so generous, getting lots of gifts for the kids. for me, she picked up some japanese hiragana rubber stamps. i'm really looking forward to using them for journaling and titles on some scrapbook layouts. she also brought back a new cookbook i ordered online, so that should motivate me to make some new dishes.

i also managed to get to the japanese shopping center after dropping my mom off at home. and i found some great japanese sewing books ... for cheap! the definite drawback of getting japanese books is the price, so i was happy to see the selection at the japanese used bookstore was pretty good. the book that's second from the left was $1; it has patterns for baby clothes. who knows when i'll actually get to make anything from the books, but i love just perusing them for ideas and inspiration.

the market i was at also has a beard papa's, so i couldn't leave without getting some cream puffs for tonight's dessert. they are de-lish! i don't know if cream puffs are very popular in the u.s., but every pâtisserie in japan has them. usually, the puff is already filled with the vanilla custard cream. but at beard papa's, they fill them to order so the pastry stays crisp and doesn't get so soggy. yummy, yummy.

but the happiest thing for me is definitely my mom coming home. :)

3 comments:

grudge girl said...

Awwww... It's so nice that you're close to your mom like that. I have such an up and down relationship with mine.

I hope you and Maya, and Charlotte and I can always be the close kind of mothers and daughters. I'm trying my hardest already!

I am totally salivating over those books. I could just eat them up!

yucaree said...

i love my mom now, but it's been a long and bumpy road to get here. things definitely changed when i became a mother. i understood her better and that changed our relationship.

i am hoping that i can grow a good, strong, loving relationship with maya. i know mothers and daughters can have tempestuous relationships, but it can also be so strong and special. i wish that for all of us!

the books are totally drool-worthy. i am not a sewer (i don't like writing that word because it makes me think of the stinky, dirty sewer system, you know?), but i hope i can make a few of the things i saw in these books.

do you sew?

grudge girl said...

HA! Sewer. You're so funny.

Do I sew? Girl. I can do a button.

Luckily both of my sisters-in-law (on my side of the family) can sew and quilt and, hee, make elaborate heirloom Halloween costumes for my kids. If I ask nicely.