[i forgot to post this from a few weeks ago.]
another yummy recipe from the august 2008 bon appetit. unfortunately, the recipe isn't online so here it is ::
- 2/3 cup orzo (about 5 ounces)
- 1-1/3 cups whipping cream
- 2 ears of corn, kernels cut from cobs, divided (1 cob reserved)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped leek (white parts only)
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- chopped fresh chives
- cook orzo in large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. drain
- meanwhile, place cream, half of corn kernels, and reserved cob in heavy medium saucepan. boil over medium heat until thickened about 10 minutes. discard cob; puree sauce in blender until smooth.
- heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. add leeks and saute until tender, about 2 minutes. add wine and simmer until almost evaporated, about 1 minute. add remaining corn kernels and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. add creamed corn corn sauce and cooked orzo. bring to simmer. season to taste with salt and pepper. transfer to bowl, sprinkle with chives, and serve.
i used fresh organic white corn from the farmers market, which was so sweet. i did too good of a job cutting the kernels off the cob, though, and got the slightly hard part of the kernel that attaches to the cob. so there were some hard bits in the dish, which detracted from the overall goodness of the texture. but all in all a tasty concoction that i will make when i have some leftover fresh corn.
(i paired the dish with a mixed green salad topped with grilled salmon.)